Background

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Lasagna Cupcakes


Read the title again. Think about it. I know you're wondering what I mean. Well, relax, because I'm on to something.

Every time that I've ever made lasagna, I've always ended up with nearly a full pan of left overs. That never get eaten. Great. So I found a solution.

Lasagna Cupcakes 

- 12 oz. ground lean beef
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-1/4 teaspoon pepper
-1 cup chopped onion
-1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
-1 can crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-3 teaspoons dried oregano
-1/2 teaspoon dried basil
-1 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
-24 wonton wrappers
-1 1/2 cup shredded cheese

Step 1: Making the sauce. 
Fairly simple, really. Just your basic meat sauce.

Saute the mushrooms, garlic and onions as the meat browns in a saucepan. 
Oh look, I forgot to take pictures of the sauce after it became a sauce. To finish the sauce, pour the tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes into the meat mixture along with 2 tsp. of the dried oregano. Bring the sauce to a low boil and then turn down to a simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and you're done!

Step 2: Ricotta filling
I once again took not near enough pictures. Combine the ricotta cheese, a pinch of salt, a pinch of pepper, the remaining oregano, and basil together to complete the cheesy lasagna filling. 



Step 3: Make those cupcakes! 
Spray a muffin pan and line with wonton wrappers. I used the round wrappers so that the corners wouldn't be sticking out of the muffin pan and burn during baking. Press the wrappers into the bottom of the pan and press all the way to make sure they form the correct shape. You'll then layer the sauce, ricotta, and mozzarella cheese. Add another wonton wrapper and repeat the steps. Simple as that. 

Most people I know have never used a wonton wrapper. They're located in the refrigerated section of the ethnic food section. If you're from around here (and if you know me, then you know where "here" is) and you go to Kroger, they're at the bottom of a cooler in the ethnic/organic food section next to the bakery). 




Step 4: Bake!
Bake at 375 degrees for about 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden. 


Step 5: Convert to a Lasagna Cupcake believer. 
It will happen. At least I think so. Perfect serving size in my opinion. And the best for portion control. Let's be honest- it's a lot easier to cut a bigger piece of lasagna and get away with it than it is to eat numerous cupcakes. I had leftover sauce, just a warning. So if you want to cut the sauce recipe down, feel free. But overall, they turned out pretty darn good.




Another success. I'll take it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment